Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates. (Pro 31:31).
The Proverbs 31 Lady is the real Wonder Woman. She was strong. She had real power, and she is a good role model because she really did exist. And in Scripture she is not the exception, she’s the norm. The Bible has many examples of strong women: Deborah the prophetess, Sarah the wife of Abraham, and Zipporah the wife of Moses, to name a few. The Bible does not teach that women should be doormats and that their husbands are supposed to keep them in submission. From the very beginning God ordained that a wife should be a help meet (Genesis 2:18). That cannot happen if she is oppressed by an overbearing husband. It can only happen in a relationship where the husband understands his wife’s God-given role and rejoices when she owns it. The Proverbs 31 Lady did just that and her husband was happy to see it happen.
To name a few of the things she did:
- She consistently earned her husband’s trust (vv. 11-12).
- She was industrious and even made family business and financial decisions (vv. 13-19, 24).
- She was a blessing to those in need around her (v. 20).
- She faithfully prepared for and met the needs of her family (v. 21).
- She took care of herself and her appearance (v. 22).
- Because of her reputation, her husband’s reputation was well-established (v. 23).
- She maintained a godly testimony (vv. 25-27).
- She enjoyed the fruits of her labors (vv. 28-31).
She was most definitely a strong and confident woman.