Praise and worship of God is easy when things are going our way. It’s not so easy when we are in the midst of trial. John wrote Revelation to people who were suffering tremendous persecution. When Jesus appeared to John on the Isle of Patmos, John himself was under duress. In the midst of all that, Jesus showed John that He is the God worthy of all glory and honor. Why? Because God is constant, so our worship and praise of Him should be constant also. Because Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, He is worthy of my worship and my praise, not because of what He’s done for me lately, but because of the character of Who He is.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Revelation 1:8)
Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. By saying “I am the Alpha and Omega,” Jesus is declaring “I am the beginning and the end of all things, the end all and be all, the reason for existence itself. I am, and I have always been.” He is the ultimate authority and all things in heaven and in earth will yield to Him. Compare this to God’s declaration of Himself in Isaiah:
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Isaiah 44:6)
In addition to declaring Himself the Alpha and the Omega, Jesus also declares Himself the One “which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” These are the same appellations that John ascribed to God the Father. Clearly, there is no doubt the Jesus the Son and God the Father are One.
So, what does all this mean for us as believers?
It means that Jesus is fully worthy of our worship and trust. We have in Christ a Savior Who is unshakable:
(1) To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain?
(2)The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD’S throne is in heaven…
We have a Savior Who not only knows the future, He determines it:
(7) And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.
(8) Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
And this is the same Savior Who cares about me down to the minutest detail:
(6) Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?
(7) But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.
1 Peter 5:7
(7) Casting all your care upon him; for He careth for you.
This great Alpha and Omega cares for me and there is nothing that will happen in my life that will pass without His infinite knowledge and love for me. He cares for me even through decisions I have made that were just plain stupid, outright selfish, even harmful or hurtful to others. My failures do not hinder His plans for me or mankind and they do not stop Him from caring about me, or caring for me, or taking care of me. This great and powerful God has a plan for mankind in general and for me in particular.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (Jeremiah 29:11).
This is the Alpha and Omega that I serve. How can I not find Him worthy of worship and praise?